Diocese of Newcastle
Newcastle Diocese covers an area of 41,437 square kilometres, with a population of some 727,000 people. The Diocese extends from the Hawkesbury River in the South to Laurieton in the North and Murrurundi in the West encompassing the Central Coast, Hunter, Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Paterson and Port Stephens regions. 63 parishes exist in this area.
Newcastle is alive and functioning very well.
There are 41 MU branches and 5 Caritas groups, approx 900 members, including 40 Lone members.
Overseas & Northern Outreach Luncheon
- When nearly 200 members from the Newcastle area heard Rev’d Keith Joseph spoke about his time when he served in The Solomon Islands and Melanesia.
Over the past couple of years, branches have had a special event or market stall etc, to raise funds, instead of the trading table.
$9,000 was raised for Mission from our Diocese to assist our A.C. Mission target.
- Coffee & Care for visitors to the Children’s Court in Newcastle, and other Courts around the Diocese
- Hospital visitors visit the Maternity Wards and offer a pair of bootees, a congratulatory card and a Gospel of Luke to the new mums. As many as 180-200 pairs of bootees are given out each month
- ‘Baby Bundles’ are given to the Family Care Sisters who distribute them to mums who are in dire need at the time of the delivery of their baby. Baby Bundles are also given out over the Diocese, by Samaritans [Anglicare], women’s refuges and other maternity hospital.
- A special diocesan MU project supports NICU with donations to help cover costs of vital equipment, recently including a brain monitoring device
- Breast Cancer cushions.
- Hospital emergency packs.
- Kotara South branch has been called on to make special bunny rugs that go over the humidicribs in the Neo-natal Intensive Care Unit [NICU] at the John Hunter Hospital
- DVD’s have also been given, for photos of those babies who are very ill at birth
- Baptism ministry, in preparation and support for families, and in attending baptisms and presenting gifts on behalf of MU
- Prayer rugs