Diocese of Melbourne
The diocese includes the urban cities of Melbourne and Geelong and also some more rural areas.
Has 53 financial branches and 10 Caritas groups with 1150 members.
2015 saw MU in the Melbourne Diocese celebrate 120 years.
Monday 31st October
MU Melbourne AGM & Council Meetings: St James' Old Cathedral. 9.30am for 10.00am start
- Hand-crafted rugs for at-risk young parents, rugs for the aged, beanies and rugs for Seafarers
- Kits for young adults in care who are starting out in their own accommodation
- Care for bereaved families through hospitality and support at funerals
- Prayer, material and financial support for Karen refugees on the Thai/Burma Border
- Support for invalid and housebound members through the Intercessory Prayer Circle
- Support for clergy through Baptism and Marriage kits, prayer cards, resource material
- Hand knitted baby and children’s garments,
- Sewing floor rugs for children in need
- Clergy stoles
Helping Natural Disaster victims
- Victorian bush-fire victims
- Flood victims
- In the devastated flood affected areas, of early 2011, especially in the Diocese of Bendigo, other areas in Victoria and throughout other parts of Australia, donations of repellent, household items, blankets were generously given, including financial support.
MU Melbourne attend Myanmar MU's Centenary
Joy Venville (MU President, Diocese of Melbourne), Ros Cambridge (Southern Region Co-ordinator), Joy Freier (MU Associate President/wife of Archbishop Freier) Denise Nichols (Board member of Anglican Overseas Aid) and 10 Karen MU members from the Diocese of Melbourne are taking part in the celebrations of 100 years of Mothers’ Union in Myanmar/Burma.
The celebrations are to be held in Yangon/Rangoon commencing in the evening of Thursday 30th January until Sunday 2nd February 2014. It is anticipated 1500-2000 Mothers’ Union members will attend, including the WWP, Lynne Tembey.
Joy V, Ros, Joy F, and Denise, will be in Myanmar from Monday 27th January until Thursday 6th February 2014, with the endorsement of Archbishop Freier, to strengthen ties with the church of Myanmar and establish a link with Mothers’ Union in Myanmar.
In January 2013 Archbishop Freier and members of the Diocese of Melbourne accepted an invitation by Archbishop Stephen Than Myint Oo of Myanmar to visit Myanmar, laying foundations for closer ties between the church in Myanmar and the Diocese of Melbourne.
Malawi 2 Melbourne Project
- An amazing amount of over $6,000 was raised. St Paul’s Caritas Canterbury organised to bring two ladies, one being a MU member, from Malawi to Melbourne to learn the skill of sewing, embroidery and the drafting of patterns.
‘The Social History of Bishopscourt’ (Retiring Collection)
- This book was launched on October 7th 2013, marking the 160th Anniversary or Bishopscourt. The book illustrates the lives of the Bishops, wives and families whilst in residence at Bishopscourt. MU was asked to help due to many of the Archbishops’ wives being either Diocesan Presidents / Associate Presidents or involved in MU. http://www.melbourne.anglican.com.au/NewsAndViews/Pages/Bishopscourt-shines-in-spotlight-for-160th-birthday.aspx
- Calling MU members who wish to continue their membership.
- Melbourne Diocesan members recently celebrated their 40th birthday in 2014. Rose Garside founded the group in 1974 for MU members who no longer had a local branch.
- At present we meet at 10.45am in the MU office, 37 Swanston Street Melbourne every second month beginning in February. We attend the 12.15pm Eucharist in the Cathedral after midday prayers.
- You are assured of a warm and friendly welcome. Call the MU office for more information – 9650 1282
The MU Shop
- The MU Shop stocks greeting cards, Aussie souvenirs, children’s books, worship resources and gifts.
- It is open on Monday, Tuesday and Friday 10.00am to 3.00pm (except on days forecast over 35 degree).
- The shop will close on Friday 16th December 2016 and re-open in January 2017.
- Street: Level 5, Room 4, 37 Swanston Street
- Postcode: 3000
- City: Melbourne
- State: Victoria
- Country: Australia
Shop Contact Details
- Telephone: 03 9650 1282
On the map
Fill in your address into the address field below the map and the shortest route will be calculated.